Love is… translating pay slips

It’s time for us to send in what, in visa terms is the AOS package. Not AOS – Adjustment of Status, but AOS – Affidavit of Support, aslo known as form I-864.

This means giving the immigration authorities an in-depth look at income, assets and tax status of the US citizen. Seeing as that he has worked abroad for a long time now, that means foreign bank accounts, foreign annual statements and foreign pay slips. Not to mention a tax return the size of a decent novel.

All of which needs to be copied at least twice and, whenever not in English, it needs to be translated. So, that’s what I’ve been doing.

Has anyone taken a good look at their pay slip lately? Could you, even in your mother tongue, give a layperson an explanation of what each item means? No? Neither can I. Still, there were six of them that needed to be made understandable to English speakers. I think I did a decent job. Not stellar, because whenever there was an English term on the pay slip, I did not check to see if the cultural or financial referent of said term was fully equivalent, but close enough.

I really hope they’ll let us pay the bill for the Immigrant Visa package soon, too. After that, a ‘Case complete’  should not be far behind..


2 Responses to “Love is… translating pay slips”

  1. 1 Amanda February 26, 2013 at 1:10 pm

    Oh good luck with that (and that’s love all right).
    Whenever I have to translate technical /specific terms that I do not know I look at the bibliography on the subject (or an equivalent document) to make sure I have the correct term (but I am sure you are doing that already).
    Also, I am just wondering, I hope they do not require all this translations to be made by an official translator (otherwise that could prove to be very expensive, as those translators charge per word).
    Good luck with the rest of the application process !

    • 2 thesmittenimmigrant February 26, 2013 at 4:24 pm

      Yup, looking at an equivalent document helps a ton. Great strategy 🙂 I was able to use one English language document as a sort of Rosetta stone for all the others. It wasn’t quite equivalent, but it came close. I also have some relatives active in finance – I called them for phrases that I needed additional help with.

      And no, no need for a ‘sworn in’ translator, but the person who translates is, does need to sign a statement that says they’re fluent in both languages and that they’ve made an adequate translation.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: